What is a Saniflo toilet system?
Saniflo toilets are a type of toilet with a built-in macerator, which is a sewage pump that allows you to flush upwards and pump the waste in any direction without relying on gravity. Saniflo is a brand name and the pump grinds human waste into smaller pieces.
The benefits of installing and using a Saniflo toilet include the following:
- No drainage pipe necessary: As there is the ability to drain the toilet from any location, you can put a toilet anywhere in your domestic property with no extension pipe. This could be a cellar, loft, attic space or anywhere else.
- Hygienic: Macerator toilets are highly recommended for their level of hygiene. Macerators, pumps and discharge pipes help to create extremely compact units that are also very clean.
- Safe: With a contained water supply you can more easily ensure that basement toilets, attic toilets and other areas are unlikely to flood. The units are completely watertight and external to the toilet bowl itself.
Maceration is also a technique in food processing plants, where it is used to make protein-rich animal feed from organic byproducts. We offer a wide range of guidance advice on all kinds of plumbing solutions so we are well-placed to explain more about Saniflo toilets. We provide high quality, low-cost plumbing.
Get in touch for a free quote on plumbing services in the southeast of the UK.
Are Saniflo Toilets Any Good?
Saniflo is one of the leading brands in upflush or macerator toilet systems. A Saniflo upflush toilet is normally installed in a domestic property where there is no mains drainage pipe available. However, commercial Saniflo systems are common too – particularly in hotels and other large scale hospitality.
Aside from the ability to have upward flushing, benefits include the following:
- Simple flush: The Saniflo system works by pressing a push-button, so there is no manual flush mechanism involved. This makes flushing a Saniflo toilet effortless but also means it is much more reliable and less likely to break.
- Easy installation: Using a Saniflo minimises the cost and disruption involved in the installation. With a much smaller pipe, a macerator system is compact, discreet and also quite capable of being installed around bends.
- Compact design: The compact unit of a macerator is often quite appealing in terms of design. Many modern hotels use macerator toilets and they provide a slimline appearance that is quite attractive to almost all tastes.
There are a couple of drawbacks to Saniflo toilets though, such as the following:
- Noise: Saniflo toilets, and other macerator toilets, will make considerably more noise than a regular toilet. Noise can be an issue in domestic settings as there can be a disruption to sleep and quality of life in the home.
- Repair and replacement: Macerators will require replacement every 2 to 3 years on average, as they have more moving parts and are a bit more complex than a regular toilet – they can easily go wrong more frequently.
Overall, Saniflo toilets are widely regarded as a high-quality product. As the design only requires a pump to be connected, installing a toilet is much simpler – and allows you much more freedom when designing or redesigning a property.
Get a Saniflo Toilet for Your Home or Business
If you want a WC with a built-in macerator then Saniflo toilets are a fine option. We can take care of all sorts of plumbing projects in the southeast of the UK, including repairing, installing and maintaining many types of high-quality toilets.
If you are interested in a Saniflo toilet system or you are having issues with a macerator toilet please get in touch with BlockBusters today to talk about Saniflo products for your home or business. You will see our team is expert and reliable.
FAQs and Useful Information
The following are a few commonly asked questions and further details on Saniflo toilets, macerators and the services we provide:
A Saniflo up flush toilet is quite simple. When you flush the toilet a macerating device inside of the tank activates. Waste inside of the tank is then pulverised within four seconds. The waste material is then pumped into a septic or soil stack up to 150 feet away. The waste is flushed through a pipe that measures one inch in diameter so installation does not require major upheaval.
Although other macerators can be quite different in many cases, a Saniflo system always uses much less water than a traditional flush mechanism. The system will last for more than 50,000 flushes and all grey pumps come with a 2-year warranty.
The waste goes from the toilet, which looks just like a normal toilet bowl, into the macerator unit. The macerators grind, chop up and blend all of the solid waste into a liquid. Saniflo systems can spin very fast at up to 3,600 RPM, so even large pieces of tissue and human waste are easily handled with this design. After the maceration process is finished, the pump inside the unit will remove the liquid that remains through a small, easy-to-hide pipe.
Yes. Saniflo makes shower cubicles, walk-in baths and even some shower trays – along with a very wide range of other types of pumps and drainage systems. The products are chiefly designed to provide plumbing and water to areas where it is difficult to have them – such as under stairs, in an attic and other hard to access spaces. Saniflo makes both commercial and domestic products.
Like many things, installing a macerator toilet is easy if you know what you are doing! If a Saniflo is not installed correctly it can easily break down – so it is crucial to get right. While it is not a big, complicated job to install a Saniflo, you do need a certain degree of expertise. Here at BlockBusters, we have over 25 years of drains and plumbing experience so we have installed, repaired and replaced numerous Saniflo systems.