You already know that if your drains are blocked you need to call Blockbusters in Brighton, but as we like to look after our loyal customers, we are going to try to help you to prevent having blocked drains in the first place and help save you some money in the long run.
The old drains in Brighton are very susceptible to blockages so let us try to be a little kinder to them. One of the easiest ways to prevent slow or clogged drains and keep your drains free flowing is to be careful about what you put into them. Common sense we know but when people are leading such busy lives they often forget the obvious. Coffee grounds are starting to become a major problem as more and more people are making fresh coffee at home and Blockbusters know that Brighton is certainly a coffee loving city judging by the amount of coffee shops adorning its’ streets.
Cooking grease, coffee grounds and hair are three of your drains biggest enemies but there are many more culprits so do all you can to avoid anything going down your drains.
- Pour any excess cooking fat into an old can or cardboard milk container and dispose of it in the rubbish bin
- Make sure you throw all your coffee grounds away in the rubbish or even better, add them to your compost pile
- Pull food scraps out of the plughole, do not poke them down as food scraps such as rice will swell up when wet
- Use a drain grate in the shower/bath to cover the drain openings to stop hair going down the drain, these could also be used in the kitchen to stop small pieces of food waste clogging the drain.
- Disposable items are often not flushable so do not flush wet wipes, nappies, facial tissues, cotton buds etc. as they will all cause blockages eventually
- If washing laundry at low temperatures be careful not to use too much soap powder as some can form build ups at low temperatures restricting the water flow through pipes. Better still use liquids rather than powder.
- Keep areas around toilets clear to prevent items accidentally falling into the toilet (this is especially important if you have children!)
- When doing DIY be careful not to allow any cement or plaster waste down the sink as it can settle in pipe bends
Another easy tip, is to make sure you are cleaning your sinks regularly to stop bad odours and blockages, so try these:
- Run very hot water down the sink after each use. This helps to prevent the oils in food products from building up on the interior surface of the pipes which can lead to blockages.
- Put a handful of baking soda down the drain and then rinse it with hot water. Baking soda is a wonderful cheap cleaning agent which is also great for absorbing foul odours.
- Pour one cup of vinegar down the drain, let it sit for 30 minutes and then rinse it with very hot water. Vinegar acts as an excellent organic solvent in removing organic build up in the pipes.
- Regularly flush the pipework with disinfectant and drain cleaner. These don’t need to be expensive products but they must be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
Following these guidelines should keep the drains of Brighton and your homes drainage pipes blockage free and working efficiently but if the worst happens you know you can always call Blockbusters in Brighton, 24 hours a day. Please like our Facebook page and Twitter to ensure you are notified when the next post comes out.Contact the team